Our Tour of Historic Places is expected to go ahead this fall on Sunday, September 26, 2021 (that is, the last Sunday in September). The tour, on the theme of Modern Beauty, will be in Elmwood Park and nearby, and will show how a development with a view to the highest quality modern living came together during the first half of the 20th century. Using his own family land, the developer worked with some of Racine’s best architects (including J Mandor Matson and Hans Geyer), and the best building contractors to produce highly crafted houses with every modern convenience. Every house was different, each was built with attached single, double, and even triple garages, and the whole was set in the beautiful Elmwood, just south of the Taylor Children’s Asylum.
Tickets include entrance to five houses, one school and one church, and a talk at the Taylor Monument. Prices are $18.00 on the day of the tour, or $15 in advance.
- Borzyinsky’s Farm and Floral Market, 11600 Washington Avenue, Sturtevant
- Mileager’s, 4838 Douglas Avenue, Racine
and 8717 Hyway 11, Sturtevant
- Miller’s Flowers, 219 Sixth Street, Racine
- O & H Bakeries, 4917 Douglas Avenue, Racine
and 4006 Durand Avenue, Racine
and 5910 Washington Avenue, Racine
- Personal Touch Flowers by Julie, 5445 Spring Street, Racine
- Racine Heritage Museum, 701 Main Street, Racine
- Uncorckt, 240 Main Street, Racine
- Wilson’s Coffee & Tea, 3306 Washington Avenue, Racine